- Government Statistics:
- The number of establishments in each industry, broken down by size, may be found in County Business Patterns.
Reports are organized by NAICS,
the North American
Industry Classification System. [http://www.census.gov/econ/cbp/index.html]
For small businesses run by the self-employed, refer to the Nonemployer Statistics for states, metro areas, and counties.
- Online Directories:
- These two directories allow searching by geography and by yellow pages business categories:
SuperPages.com (allows searching with maps)
Switchboard (10 million businesses, includes maps and directions)
- Other directories focus on specific industries or products:
- You can also search by selected occupations for licensed practitioners in New Jersey:
- Chambers of Commerce and Trade Associations:
- New Jersey Chamber of Commerce Directory has links to most Chambers of Commerce in the state. [http://www.2chambers.com/new6.htm]
- The American Society of Association Executives maintains several directories of trade associations, membership societies, and other not-for-profit associations on their Gateway to Associations. [http://www.asaecenter.org]
- Company Database:
- The ReferenceUSA database at JerseyClicks includes a directory of more than 14 million U.S. businesses. Click on CUSTOM SEARCH and enter your local library card number; use ReferenceUSA to find basic information about one company, or to find all companies in an industry or in a particular city. It will also provide information on employees, sales, product lines, parent/affiliate/subsidiary companies, and key personnel. State funding for this resource will likely end June 30, 2010. [http://www.jerseyclicks.org]
- Rutgers Research Guide:
- The Company Research Guide will lead you to over two hundred other sources of information, both online and in print, including the New Jersey Directory of Small Business with listings by name, town, and business category. (DANA Reference Desk, KILMER Business Counter 1).