- Directions to the Institute of Jazz Studies, John Cotton Dana Library, Rutgers University, Newark
Events and News:
- Vincent Pelote, Operations Director of the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers University:
- IJS Associate Director Adriana P. Cuervo Appointed to
The American Archivist Editorial Board:
- Newark Historian Citizen Initiative
A program hosted at the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers-Newark that offers training for the Newark community and the general public in the preservation of personal, family, and local history. With the city of Newark’s 350th and Rutgers University’s 250th anniversaries being commemorated in 2016, the NCHI is one way the celebrations can make a long-lasting impact in people’s lives.
- Jazz Research Roundtable - photo history - more than 20 years of programs, 1995 - 2016.
The IJS Jazz Research Roundtable, a forum for scholars, musicians, and students engaged in all facets of jazz research, began in February 1995 and has continued now through more than 20 years. We present selected photos documenting the history of this forum.
- Berger - Carter - Fund (grants for
jazz researchers) - Click to view Awards Granted through 2015
- Jazz Archives Fellowship Program: 2015; 2014; 2013
- Can Jazz Thrive in China, by Tad Hershorn, IJS Archivist - Article in The Conversation, August 2015
- LATEST ISSUE -Journal of Jazz Studies, a new online open format journal on jazz
|- Ed Berger, retired Associate Director of IJS,has a newly published book: Softly, With Feeling: Joe Wilder and the Breaking of Barriers in American Music: Temple University Press, 2014.
- NEW - Winner of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) 2015 Award for Excellence in Historical Recorded Sound Research, the top award in the category BEST HISTORICAL RESEARCH IN RECORDED JAZZ.
- Restoration of the bass used by Curly Russell. Now available for viewing in the IJS Instrument Collection.
- IJS mourns the passing of its first Director, Chris White, on 2 November 2014
- IJS mourns the passing of past staff member Marie Griffin on 21 November 2014
- IJS mourns the passing of Don Luck, 1930-2014, former IJS staff member.
- IJS mourns the passing of D. Russell Connor, 1922-2014, friend and confidant of Benny Goodman.
- IJS mourns the passing of Father Peter O'Brien, 1940-2015, friend and personal manager of Mary Lou Williams, the great jazz composer and musician.
- Institute of Jazz Studies Receives Literary Landmark Designation from the New Jersey Center for the Book - The ceremony - October 23, 2013 at John Cotton Dana Library, Rutgers University, Newark - included the first concert of the Great American Songbook Concert Series featuring Daryl Sherman, piano, Joe Temperley, baritone sax, and Boots Maleson, bass.
- World's Largest Jazz Archive Housed at Rutgers - Video introduction to the Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey
- Click here for a tour of the Institute in a Photo Blog -similar to a tour on-site
Special Digital Exhibits:
Jazz Greats Exhibits