- Directions to the Institute of Jazz Studies, John Cotton Dana Library, Rutgers University, Newark
Events and News:
- IJS mourns the passing of Father Peter O'Brien, 3 May 2015, Executive Director of the Mary Lou Williams Foundation and a good friend of IJS.
- Vincent Pelote named Director of Operations at the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers University.
- Jazz Research Roundtable - schedule
- Jazz Research Roundtable - photo history - 20 years of programs, 1995 - 2014. The IJS Jazz Research Roundtable, a forum for scholars, musicians, and students engaged in all facets of jazz research, began in February 1995 and has continued now through 20 years. We present selected photos documenting the history of this forum.
- Jazz From The Archives - past programs on WBGO radio - program ended in December 2014
- Jazz Archives Fellowship Program: 2014; 2013
- Restoration of the bass used by Curly Russell. Now available for viewing in the IJS Instrument Collection.
- NEW ISSUE -Journal of Jazz Studies, a new online open format journal on jazz
|- Ed Berger, retired Associate Director of IJS,has a newly published book: Softly, With Feeling: Joe Wilder and the Breaking of Barriers in American Music: Temple University Press, 2014.
US State Department Jazz Ambassadors Embrace the World, a jazz exhibit by Meridian Internationsl Center (IJS among the collaborators)
- The Institute of Jazz Studies has completed work on a grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) to arrange and describe the collections of five women in jazz:
Wilma Dobie, Ella Fitzgerald, Abbey Lincoln, Annie Ross and Victoria Spivey.
These 5 collections are newly archived and available to jazz researchers.
- Institute of Jazz Studies Receives Literary Landmark Designation from the New Jersey Center for the Book - The ceremony - October 23, 2013 at John Cotton Dana Library, Rutgers University, Newark - included the first concert of the Great American Songbook Concert Series featuring Daryl Sherman, piano, Joe Temperley, baritone sax, and Boots Maleson, bass.
- World's Largest Jazz Archive Housed at Rutgers - Video introduction to the Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey
- Click here for a tour of the Institute in a Photo Blog -similar to a tour on-site
- IJS mourns the passing of its first Director, Chris White, on 2 November 2014
- IJS mourns the passing of past staff member Marie Griffin on 21 November 2014
- IJS mourns the passing of Don Luck, 1930-2014, former IJS staff member.
- IJS mourns the passing of D. Russell Connor, 1922-2014, friend and confidant of Benny Goodman.
Special Digital Exhibits:
Jazz Greats Exhibits